Who’s excited for the Super Bowl?! To be honest, I don’t really care for football but I always enjoyed the social aspect of this event, the commercials, the half-time show, and of course the food. In my experience I’ve noticed that anything with buffalo sauce and chicken is pretty much a staple item to have on Super Bowl Sunday. Buffalo chicken wings, buffalo chicken wraps, buffalo chicken hoagies, buffalo chicken dip, etc. Some ooey, gooey buffalo chicken dip sounded amazing so I decided to create my own vegan version to satisfy my craving.
For this recipe I used Tofurkey’s Slow Roasted Chick’n in the Sesame Garlic flavor. My original intent was to use the Lightly Seasoned version but I could not find it anywhere! I looked for it at two different Wholefoods, Trader Joe’s, Aldi, Walmart (…I was desperate), and Publix (Florida grocery store).Finally at the third Publix I visited I found this damn slow roasted chick’n…but only the Sesame Garlic one. I decided to just purchase the last two boxes remaining and figure out how to make it work for this buffalo chick’n dip.
Another option if you have a hard time finding this as well is using cauliflower. Anyway, what I ended up doing was rinsing off all the seasoning, or as much as I could with water, patting the chick’n down with a paper towel til dry and shredding as much as possible by hand. If you have a food processor I am sure that would work great as well.
Ingredients: MAKES 2.5 CUPS OF DIP
- 1 (8 oz.) package of Tofurkey Slow Roasted Chicken – Lightly Seasoned
- 1 (8 oz.) tub of vegan cream cheese
- 1/2 cup buffalo sauce
- 1/2 cup vegan blue cheese dressing
- 1/2 cup vegan cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup vegan Monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- celery ribs and/or any kind of chips for dipping!
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Shred chick’n by hand or using a food processor
- Transfer chick’n to a mixing bowl
- Add buffalo sauce, blue cheeze, nutritional yeast, shredded cheddar and monterey jack cheezes
- Mix well with spatula
- Spread cream cheese (softened) at the bottom of a non-grease baking dish
- Pour chickn mixture evenly into baking dish
- OPTIONAL: sprinkle some more nutritional yeast and or bread crumbs on top
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes
- Remove foil and bake for another 10-15 minutes
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes, serve and enjoy with celery sticks and chips!
Celery sticks and chips are my favorite dipping instruments for this recipe! The celery helps refresh your palette after the initial delicious burn from the buffalo sauce. Tortilla chips are just my crunchy addiction and add some neutral flavor to the spice. Either way you can’t go wrong!