As we bring in the new year many of us like to celebrate with family and friends. Figuring out what food to have for guests is always a challenge because sometimes (always lol) finger foods is just not enough to balance out the number of celebratory drinks being consumed on New Year’s Eve. If this sounds familiar, arroz con pollo vegano can be your solution.
This is my abuela’s go-to recipe for feeding large groups of people. It’s pretty much our version of a paella but without seafood of course. The recipe below serves four it is very simple to double or triple the amount! I used Gardein Chick’n Strips but if this is too pricey to buy for a bunch of possibly non-vegan, unappreciative dummies (Hispanic family and friends in my case haha), then just make it Arroz SIN Pollo! Chicken vegan or not is not needed for this dish to be delicious and filling!
Ingredients: 4 SERVINGS
- 1 tomato, diced
- 2 long green onions, white ends minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 Sazon Goya packets
- 2 cups white rice
- 4 cups water
- 3 tsp salt, more or less to taste
- 1 (10 oz) bag frozen mixed veggies
- 1 (10.5 oz) bag Gardein Chick’n Strips
- Pour olive oil over medium to large saucepan, add tomato and onions, allow to simmer over medium heat for 3 minutes
- Add 1 sazon goya packet, mix with tomato and onions and allow to simmer for 1 minute
- Add rice and stir thoroughly into tomato mixture, add salt and stir some more
- Add water and let it sit over medium to high heat until most of the water has evaporated
- Before it completely evaporates, add half a packet of sazon goya and stir
- Add frozen veggies and allow for the rest of the water to evaporate
- Now mix in all the veggies evenly throughout the rice
- Add 1/8 cup water more, cover saucepan, and change heat to low
- Let cook for 30-40 minutes or until all liquid has evaporated and rice is fluffy and a little sticky!
- If needed add more salt to taste
- Remove from heat
- Drizzle some olive oil in a skillet and spread with spatula so it’s all covered
- Throw Gardein Chick’n Strips on skillet
- Cook for 3-5 minutes
- Flip and allow to cook for another 3-5 minutes or until slightly golden-brown
- Cut into pieces and mix into rice
- Serve and enjoy!
As 2017 has come to a close I’d just like to say thank you to all of you who have followed my blogging journey since my start in August. I have had so much fun being creative and sharing recipes with everyone! I am excited for 2018 and have so much planned for Vegan Turned On so please stay tuned and get ready for an awesome year of vegan fooooood!