I first encountered this bite of deliciousness a couple of years ago at a Spanish tapas restaurant and immediately fell in love. I found myself reaching for more and more little breads as the night progressed and I remember thinking I can eat these all day and every day because they were that good!
Many of you may be thinking that this looks a lot like the Italian version, bruschetta but it’s not. Bruschetta is delicious as well in a different way but pan con tomate has this refreshing simplicity that wins my taste buds over every time. These little guys are so incredibly easy to make and are the perfect hor d’oeuvres for a holiday party. If you are over the holidays by now and just want a night in to yourself, these can also be a healthy snack while you binge on Home Alone 1 – 3!
Ingredients: 12 SERVINGS
- 3 slices of bread (this recipe is usually made with a sliced baguette but unfortunately I could not find one that was not made with dairy or eggs, so I used a vegan multi-grain loaf)
- 2 large tomatoes, shredded (see below)
- 1 1/2 tbsp minced garlic
- 3 large basil leaves
- olive oil to drizzle
- salt to taste
- Cut bread slices into four pieces each (to total 12 squares)
- Spread some minced garlic and drizzle olive oil over each
- Place bread on tray, and tray in toaster oven (or big oven) on broil at 350ºF for 5 minutes
- In the meantime, cut tomatoes in half and then use a cheese grater to shredd the inside of the tomato until only the peel is left in your hand (see photos above)
- Drain shredded tomato in strainer to let excess liquid out (you don’t want soggy bread)
- Add salt to taste and mix in evenly
- Cut basil leaves small enough to use as garnish
- Place a spoonful of tomato on each piece of bread
- Drizzle some more olive oil on top and add basil garnish
- Serve on small appetizer plates or on trays for all to enjoy!
For large groups I would say to prep the tomato the day before so that all you have to do is pop the bread in the oven the day of. This is something you can’t go wrong with. I guarantee your guests will love these refreshing bites and will be asking for more!