What comes to mind when you think of lasagne? My mind immediately thinks, “meaty and cheesy.” Back in the day, that thought made me excited and happy but when I first changed my diet the same thought made me sad and frustrated. I thought I would never be able to enjoy that perfectly layered combination again. Then I realized I was being mellow-dramatic and not thinking outside the box. I quickly slapped myself silly and decided to take action and attempt to make a vegan lasagne.
The truth is, there are so many vegan products out there that make intricate meals, such as this one, so much easier! This specific recipe really highlights how good each of these brands/products is alone and combined with one-another. I genuinely think all the recipes I have shared so far are amazing, but as time passes and I’ve gained more experience, each new recipe just keeps getting better and better! This lasagne was so incredible I made a second one to keep in the fridge for lunch, dinner, and snack in between!
Ingredients: (2) 9″x13″ BAKING DISHES
- 1 box lasagne noodles
- 2 jars Organicville Marinara sauce
- 1 box Lightlife Smart Grounds
- 1/2 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1/2 yellow squash, thinly sliced
- 1/2 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 tub of Kite Hill Ricotta
- 1/2 bag of Follow Your Heart Mozzarella Shreds
- Prepare by chopping onion, washing and slicing squash and zucchini, and washing mushrooms. For thin slices, I recommend using a veggie slicer for best results.
- Fill a large soup pot halfway with water and place lasagne noodles vertically in there. They will slide and fully submerge once they start softening up. Allow them to cook for 15 minutes, or until al dente. You don’t want them to get too soft because they will fall apart easier.
- Meanwhile, drizzle a dash of olive oil in a medium saucepan and add onions. Let them sauté over medium heat until translucent. Stir frequently so they don’t burn in the process.
- Add smart grounds to saucepan and separate from tight cluster with a wooden spoon until loose, stir to mix with onions.
- Add water, salt and 3 tablespoons of the marinara sauce to grounds mixture and stir. Allow to cook for about 5-10 minutes or until a mushy texture, not watery. Remove saucepan from heat and allow to cool
- At this point, the lasagne noodles should be ready, so go ahead and carefully drain into a strainer. Have a few cutting boards ready for you to lay each individual noodle flat so they keep a straight form and do not stick to each other.
- Now you are ready to put it all together!
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Bring out your 9″x13″ baking dishes and grease them using a small amount of vegan butter or olive oil.
- The first layer is going to be 3 lasagne noodles side-by-side
- Add half of the smart grounds mixture and spread evenly
- Add another layer of noodles
- Next throw on half of the portions of zucchini, squash, and mushroooms
- Sprinkle a quarter of the ricotta over the veggies and some of the mozzarella as well.
- Place the last layer of noodles and pour the rest of the jar of marinara over it. Make sure to spread it evenly.
- Sprinkle another quarter of the ricotta and some more mozzarella on top
- Repeat steps 1-8 for second dish
- Place both in the oven for 25 minutes or until you see edges of the noodles starting to brown or crisp.
- Let cool for 5 minutes
- Serve and enjoy! (TIP: sprinkle some Follow Your Heart Parmesan on top for extra cheesiness!)
This recipe is a bit more intricate than usual, but if all goes well you will be in heaven with every bite! Are you up to the challenge?