So now that we are in December you are probably in the midst of “bulking” season (a.k.a. annual weight gain due to holiday eating and not giving a fuck) LOL! And guess what we are just going to keep it going all through December because I have a bunch of sweets and delicious meals planned for this month! Today’s recipe is one of my all-time favorite desserts which I learned to make from my grandma. If you are Hispanic or are familiar with Latino culture (primarily food culture), you know that rice pudding, or arroz con leche is a classic sweet, loved by all! So if you are excited to see this turned vegan or you are simply intrigued, keep scrolling for the full recipe!
- 1 cup white rice
- 3 cups water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 6 cloves
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 can (11.25 oz) sweetened condensed coconut milk
- Ground cinnamon to top
- Place rice, water, cinnamon sticks, and cloves in medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat
- Allow to cook until most of the water is evaporated but NOT ALL, make sure rice has expanded, becoming softer and thicker
- Add cup of soy milk and allow to boil over medium heat, stir frequently until thick (not runny)
- Add condensed coconut milk and stir until it is a thick pudding substance
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes
- Serve and sprinkle cinnamon (some do raisins as well) over it
- For people who enjoy this pudding cold, allow it to cool for 30 minutes and then place in the refrigerator overnight
My abuela makes a dope arroz con leche, so I’m hoping I make her damn proud while still choosing the cruelty-free ingredient route! I am confident you guys will love it, but let me know in the comments below!